We are looking for an all-round, senior (serious) game designer, preferably with experience in designing games with a serious purpose. We offer a creative, fulfilling and demanding position in which you work independently in a small development team.
As a game designer in one of our independent development teams you will be responsible for the game and engagement design and implementation for that team’s projects. Each team consists of designers, artists and engineers and each team owns multiple projects which are worked on iteratively in dedicated sprints.
- Together with the development team and stakeholders you will create the concepts and game designs for our games.
- You will analyse the client’s project goals and translate those into a set of requirements that form the basis for the game’s concept and design.
- You will establish design pillars, game mechanics and game dynamics that will implement the project’s requirements and are tailored to the project’s target audience.
- You will design game loops that are effective, engaging and have high entertainment value.
- You will implement and test these designs and build fun gameplay that also contributes to the project goal.
- You can give input on all aspects of a game’s development, both technical as well as artistic and design-wise.
- You will communicate with the client about the game design requirements for a game and gather these requirements in formal documentation.
- As part of the design team you will formulate and iterate on the company’s design vision and philosophy for the future.
What are the requirements?
- A minimum of 5 years of professional game design experience.
- A deep understanding of engagement, motivation and drive and how to apply this in video game design.
- You are passionate about ludology in its many forms. You are inspired by everything from tabletop RPGs, board games, arcade and casual games to the mechanics on offer by the latest entertainment titles.
- Skilled in assessing technical and artistic feasibility of your design choices and being able to scope them.
- Strong communication skills to both peers and clients.
- Ample experience in working with the Unity game engine.
- You are able to create game functionality in Unity using tools such as NodeCanvas/ FlowCanvas or similar visual scripting software.
- Experience with designing for PC/Mac, web and mobile platforms and understanding their different requirements.
- Knowledge of and experience with UX design, Material Design and narrative theory.
- You’re eager to learn new skills.
- You’re able to work independently.
- Having a strong vision and drive.
- Having a strong user-oriented mindset.
What do we have to offer?
- Be able to make entertainment games with a purpose to make our world a better place.
- A flat company hierarchy, responsibility and freedom in organizing and executing your work.
- Room for experimentation and growth.
- Scheduled time and budget for personal development and training.
- Work with a creative and driven team of professionals.
- Work in an old Dutch prison in a relaxed game studio.
- Combine remote work with your own, dedicated space at the office.
Location: Preferably on location in Leeuwarden, The Netherlands, or hybrid.
If you’re interested in this position or if you have some questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.