16th of May 2017 – Every semester we receive a lot of emails of enthusiastic students who want an internship at Grendel Games. To make the application process as easy as possible, we have set up a profile for each discipline. Do you match this profile? Then we would love to hear from you! Each semester we have one internship per discipline available.
- You’re looking for an internship of one semester (20 weeks) or longer.
- You’re socially skilled.
- You love to work in a team.
- You have an independent and initiative-oriented work attitude.
- You speak and write English fluently.
- You enjoy playing and developing games.
- You’ve got the motivation to get started in the game development industry.
- You keep in mind that you’re applying for a game development position, and therefore show work that fits this context.
- You’re aware that working in the game industry isn’t always a fairytale and sometimes it can be frustrating, annoying or difficult.
- A cover letter in which you explain why you want an internship at Grendel Games.
- Always show your best and most recent work.
- You have experience with an object-oriented programming language (C#/C++/Java).
- You have experience with the Unity3D engine.
- Experience with Unreal Engine is also accepted, as long as you want to spend time learning to work with Unity3D.
- You have experience in designing, implementing and debugging algorithms and data structures.
- Focus on writing reusable, maintainable and expandable code.
- You master mathematics at HAVO level.
- A grasp of vector mathematics is beneficial.
- Two or more game development related projects that give us a good idea of your skills. We prefer to have a playable / testable version, but the code is most important.
- Tell us which parts of code you would like to highlight.
- If you have worked on a project with multiple programmers, make sure it’s clear what parts you’ve made!
- You’re able to translate serious goals into fun gaming mechanisms.
- You speak and write Dutch fluently.
- You distinguish yourself in (at least) one of the following skills:
- Narrative design.
- UX / UI design.
- Game balance.
- Level design.
- At least one Game Design Document from your hand.
- Material which shows us your contribution to at least 3 different games.
- You can showcase work in different styles, from cartoon to realistic.
- You can show us work which has different applications, such as environment design, character design, UI design, 2D assets, texture work, etc.
- You display the ability to produce game-ready assets.
- You should demonstrate good 2D/3D/animation skills. Think of composition, drawings, sketches, color usage and such.
- Make clear why you made every piece of work.
- Always attach technical details such as resolution, polycount, wireframes etc.
- Show your workflow in at least one piece of work: from idea, sketch, technique that you used to the finished product.
- If you apply for an animation internship, we would like to see you’re well-versed in the animation principles. At the very least show us a walk-cycle of a character.
- Make sure your portfolio is neat, well-kept and easily accessible. We prefer Sketchfab for 3D models and animations, and Art Station for 2D work.
Do we have a match? Send in your application here!